• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

signing papers after probate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

iamme04

What is the name of your state?nc

is it normal to have to sign papers after you have been left something in someones will ? my father died and me and my brother were the only ones in his will splitting everything in half.
my brother has taken everything and says he is going to sell it and then we will split the money. he says the attorney is sending me papers to sign saying that i have received my share so he can close the estate out.
i haven't gotten anything.
is this a normal thing to sign or by signing this then i would never have a case against my brother for any of my fathers belongings ?

S

seniorjudge

iamme04 said:
What is the name of your state?nc

is it normal to have to sign papers after you have been left something in someones will ? my father died and me and my brother were the only ones in his will splitting everything in half.
my brother has taken everything and says he is going to sell it and then we will split the money. he says the attorney is sending me papers to sign saying that i have received my share so he can close the estate out.
i haven't gotten anything.
is this a normal thing to sign or by signing this then i would never have a case against my brother for any of my fathers belongings ?
Q: is it normal to have to sign papers after you have been left something in someones will ?

A: Yes; in fact, it is not only normal, it is required by the court.

Q: is this a normal thing to sign or by signing this then i would never have a case against my brother for any of my fathers belongings ?

A: Yes, once you have signed a receipt for the stuff, that means you're happy with what happened and what you got.

iamme04

seniorjudge said:
Q: is it normal to have to sign papers after you have been left something in someones will ?

A: Yes; in fact, it is not only normal, it is required by the court.

Q: is this a normal thing to sign or by signing this then i would never have a case against my brother for any of my fathers belongings ?

A: Yes, once you have signed a receipt for the stuff, that means you're happy with what happened and what you got.

is there any way to find out what all there was in the estate ?

i feel like i shouldn't sign anything unless i have actually gotten something instead of my brother saying this is what i am going to give you afterwards but go ahead and sign the paper now.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">