• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Simple estate or dispense with administration??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bgatlin22

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? KENTUCKY

My mother passed away in January. Her former employer (single individual) died two weeks after her & left her 2.5% of certificates of deposits in his will. It would be under the $15,000 mark. She did not have a will and I am now trying to figure out how to go about getting the money? She did not own anything or owe anyone. She did have some household goods, but thats it. Can I just file a petition to dispense with administration and if so what do I need to file besides the petition? Or would I have to open a simple estate? All help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

Dandy Don

Go to the county courthouse probate court and get the documents needed to open up a simple estate. Soon after filing, you will receive a document called letters testamentary and you will need to present a certified copy of that document to the executor of your employer's estate or to the bank to be able to claim the proceeds from the CD.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">