• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Simple trust?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JimPeters

State - AZ

How simple and concise can a trust be? For example, the one I made 12 years ago with a law firm is over 40 pages. I've read it numerous times and find most of it supefluous. I know some would say there are things I as a non-lawyer might not see the purpose of. But could one with a pretty simple situiation make a simple trust to suffice?

seniorjudge

State - AZ

How simple and concise can a trust be? For example, the one I made 12 years ago with a law firm is over 40 pages. I've read it numerous times and find most of it supefluous. I know some would say there are things I as a non-lawyer might not see the purpose of. But could one with a pretty simple situiation make a simple trust to suffice?
double post

You have started seven other threads on this subject.

Post your question in one of them.

Preferably this one:

https://forum.freeadvice.com/showthread.php?t=420735

JimPeters

This is a new subject about creating a simple trust. I didn't post this anywhere else. It seems to me that it gets more confusing to extend threads a long time with new subjects, especially when the thread is on its second page.

curb1

Many living trusts are boiler plate straight from the attorney. Only the names are changed. In our trust about half of the pages had no relevance for us.

FlyingRon

But a lot of that boiler plate is important. While it may seem obvious how certain things inthe trust ought to be handled, many of those clauses are the result of previous litigation arguing otherwise.

HomeGuru

State - AZ

**A: yes but highly unwise.

JimPeters

Okay, I know from several people here that doing anything ourselves is unwise. But since some of us are going to try, we are interested in particular factors involved. Such as particular unwise things we might do ourselves when making a trust and how to do them more wisely ourselves. I've gotten good tips like that from some people here. I go on the idea that it is possible for me to understand.

In my case, I've previously established a family trust through a legal firm and recently discovered I needed to change some things. I was advised here of certain problems involved in making these changes. Now I think I'd like to make a new trust, not to replace the old, but to handle a couple of assets I own which are not in the other trust.

I want it to be very simple: These are the couple of assets in the trust. I can do what I want with them while I live, then they are allocated to this and this person. That's all.

So, what considerations should I be aware of, given that I plan to make a trust even though some people think it is unwise?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">