• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Simplified probate & credit card debt

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mamca

Hi! State is Colorado. My husband died September 2000 leaving me and four small chidren without a will.Since there was not a lot left, I was advised by a lawyer to use a Simplified-streamlined probate. I filled out the form,was able to obtain the little money left from his bank account.He left a credit card debt on a card issued only in his name,but made during our marriage.I notified CC company /located in Georgia/about his death,spoke to a representative over the phone. Told them there was no will, there is no probate,=no executor, and there is almost no money left./only two cars registered in his name only, paid off,acquired during our 9 yrs of marriage/.The amount owed at the time of his death was $7,000, later I learned that he had arranged electronic payment around $ 4,000. Final debt now is $ 2,880.I mentioned these amounts, because the representative told me that 7,000 is a big debt to overlook and that they will check with me later if there is any probate process. /I hope that they can 'forgive' smaller amounts./
My question: do you think they will come after me to pay off this debt, what time do they have/how long after husband's death/? Was I to notified them about the streamline probate, and if I did, to give them all the money left in husband's bank account? Few days before his death he closed our joint bank account and transfered all the money to the new account only in his name. Can that money be considered his separate property? Am I wrong to think that only half of it was his and if I would have to pay off that debt, I would have to pay only up to his half? Or am I as a surviving spouse responsible for all this debt?
Can I miss or loose something if I just keep quiet and wait if they contact me again? I feel bad to do this, but I have my own card to pay off an 4 children to take care off.
Thank you for any advice !

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">