• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sister-in-law won't pay me back

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Amber Onyx

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Jersey

In 2013, I loaned my father-in-law $20,000. The whole convoluded story, in a nutshell, is this; my husband owned his own business. He got sued by a customer and the court/lawyer automatically took money out and put a freeze on my father-in-law's bank accounts instead of my husband's. (They have the same name). My f-i-l didn't contest it because he was just diagnosed with cancer at the time and didn't want to deal with it.

Now, my f-i-l had "loaned/given" about $15,000 plus the monies taken out of his accounts. My husband was trying to pay him back.

So this garnishment took place just as my f-i-l was on the verge of being very ill. He asked me for a loan of $20,000 (which I had offered to do) in cash, because he had to pay bills, property taxes, etc. I had gotten an inheritance from my mom so I had the money at the time.

I had the funds in a mutual fund, sold them and had the money forwarded into my checking account. When I went to pick up the cash, I wrote a check to myself for it. I was going to put in the "memo" area "for dad", but decided against it because I didn't know if this would come back to bite him in the ass from the court.

He died 6 months later. In the meantime, my husband's sister very underhandedly got her father to change his will to leave her everything and nothing to my husband (because of all the loans and such). This was done while my f-i-l was in intensive care and behind our backs. At the time, my f-i-l didn't even remember being in the ICU unit so I don't think he was in his right mind when she did this. We didn't know anything about it until she had the will probated and we got a copy of it from her lawyer.

So now she refuses to pay me back. I only have a note from my f-i-l that says "thank you for forwarding me the money". However, I did find a copy of a credit card bill that he wrote on it "paid by loan from A".

Is there anything I can do to get my money back?

My s-i-l is a greedy, self-righteous, a-hole who didn't even give my husband anything from her father's house. Not even a lousy pencil. I hate the fact that she has my mom's hard earned money that she left to me.

BTW, my husband kept asking his father when he would pay me back, even while he was in the hospital. He said when his house sold, as he had gotten a reverse mortgage on it and put it up for sale when he got very sick. My s-i-l told my husband, and I quote "she'll get hers when I get mine". She meaning me.

My husband did get her back.....she thought she would get our townhouse since her father purchased it, but we paid the mortgage and my husband let it go into foreclosure and she got zip! She would have evicted us and rented it out for more money.

If you can follow all that, I'd appreciate some input on if I have a case against her and how to proceed.

Thanks

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Your sister-in-law owes you no money. The estate does. Sue your father in law's estate. But expect the estate to countersue for the fact that due to you and your husband, your father-in-law's accounts were frozen, you didn't pay rent as required and caused the home to go to foreclosure and various other things.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">