• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sister Won't Sign Death Benefit Form

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pacormier

What is the name of your state?

Texas

Good day! My mother died last year and left my sister and I beneficiaries for (2) life policies. One of the companies allowed me to send them a copy of the death certificate and the claim form and mailed me my portion. The other company says that can not pay out until my sister sends in her claim for signed as well. To me this is unheard of. My sister is refusing to sign her claim form and send in because she does not want me to get my portion of the life insurance. Can anyone give me direction? This was extremely messy as my sister had my mother change her will (on her death bed) and omitted me from the will. My sister thought she had all of the basis covered but was unaware of the life policies.

Dandy Don

How much money is your sister turning down by refusing to sign? How unbelievably selfish and tacky and spiteful!! Did the insurance company inform you of their refusal to pay by letter or by phone?

File a complaint with the Texas Insurance Commissioner (look for the website or the address/phone number in your phone book) about this so he can investigate and get this insurance company to act responsibly. Surely common sense tells you they can cut a check for your share of the money and that has no relation to what sister does or doesn't do.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

pacormier

I contacted the Texas Board of Insurance and they tell me that since there are 2 beneficiaries, the company has the right to make the call how you are paid out. They told me I could perhaps hire an attorney and take it through the courts but I would not be guaranteed payment this way either. This just seems to be unheard of and I have been corresponding with this insurance company for a year now. They send my sister reminders on a monthly basis but again, she refuses to sign.

There was a second policy that my sister is refusing to sign off on from a different company as well. However, this company did not have a problem paying me my half since I provided them the required documentation.

I appreciate any suggestion on how to resolve this issue.

BlondiePB

pacormier said:
I contacted the Texas Board of Insurance and they tell me that since there are 2 beneficiaries, the company has the right to make the call how you are paid out. They told me I could perhaps hire an attorney and take it through the courts but I would not be guaranteed payment this way either. This just seems to be unheard of and I have been corresponding with this insurance company for a year now. They send my sister reminders on a monthly basis but again, she refuses to sign.

There was a second policy that my sister is refusing to sign off on from a different company as well. However, this company did not have a problem paying me my half since I provided them the required documentation.

I appreciate any suggestion on how to resolve this issue.
Try talking to someone in a very high position of the company.

S

seniorjudge

pacormier said:
What is the name of your state?

Texas

Good day! My mother died last year and left my sister and I beneficiaries for (2) life policies. One of the companies allowed me to send them a copy of the death certificate and the claim form and mailed me my portion. The other company says that can not pay out until my sister sends in her claim for signed as well. To me this is unheard of. My sister is refusing to sign her claim form and send in because she does not want me to get my portion of the life insurance. Can anyone give me direction? This was extremely messy as my sister had my mother change her will (on her death bed) and omitted me from the will. My sister thought she had all of the basis covered but was unaware of the life policies.
How are the beneficiaries listed on the nonpaying company?

Please quote exactly (not giving real names, of course).

I would have to have that info before I could attempt a cogent answer.

S

seniorjudge

pacormier said:
Jane A. Smith, Daughter

Linda A. Smith, Daughter
It doesn't sound like it would be in joint tenancy (which would be mighty strange to have a beneficiary listed that way).

Anyway, send them a request in writing for the dough CRRR and if they do not give you your share, send another request in writing CRRR asking them to state their reasons why.

Do not do anything over the phone.

Keep copies of everything.

Post back with results.

pacormier

Thanks for the response.....just as an update from yesterday-after contacting the Texas Board of Insurance, I phoned the insurance company telling her that I had done so. The Texas Board of Insurance had requested from me a copy of the policy so that they could read how it was worded. Unfortunately I do not have a copy due to my sister having the original. However, at this point, the insurance company does not know whether or not my sister has the original since she has not responded to them in a year. The insurance company refused to send me a copy, stating that they do not have a copy of the policy which sounded extremely strange to me so she faxed me a request for lost policy statement. Now she is saying that if I send her the original death certificate and the lost policy statement notarized, she will present to her supervisor and see if the can "contract a separate claim" to get my portion paid out or I will have to go through the court system to try and get my share. According to her, the policy is still accruing interest. This sounds strange since they have a copy of the death certificate showing the date of my mom's death. I truly think that is unfortanate for family's to have to go through this. I've only heard of these nightmares and am now going through this myself. Again, thanks for your time!

S

seniorjudge

According to her, the policy is still accruing interest. This sounds strange since they have a copy of the death certificate showing the date of my mom's death. I truly think that is unfortanate for family's to have to go through this. I've only heard of these nightmares and am now going through this myself. Again, thanks for your time!

I'm glad you are making progress.

Insurance companies can be a real pain, but they want to pay this claim only once, so they have to make sure everything is on the up and up.

Yes, it will continue drawing interest until it is paid out.

This, I hope, will prompt you to do estate planning yourself so your heirs don't have to go through this.

Dandy Don

What is the policy worth? If your contacts with the insurance company don't work out, find out what the minimum value must be at the courthouse for pursuing a small claims court action on this.

S

seniorjudge

pacormier said:
Done!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Good for you.

Try to avoid court action if at all possible.

Life insurance carriers generally pay every valid claim.

They are just being extra cautious since you don't have a copy of the policy, etc.

Keep after them.

BTW, please do not reveal details of this policy on the internet, okay?

pacormier

Update to Sister Won't Sign...

It's amazing how things turn out sometimes when you have to get "ugly" and threaten with attorneys. I contacted the Texas Board of Insurance and they were able to give me some good advice. I then called the non-paying insurance company and told them that my attorney wanted to see a copy of my mom's life policy to see how it was worded. They were extremely hesitant and then I mentioned to her that I also contacted the TX Board of Insurance and that they told me the insurance company was "not being very nice to me" by not wanting to pay me my fair portion by my mother's wishes. The tone changed from day to night and the agent then told me that she would speak to her supervisor to see if they could open a separate policy and then pay me my half since my sister was refusing to sign off. Then they agreed that I should not be punished for my sisters actions. Low and behold, a few days later, the agent calls and says that the check is in the mail. They made good and I have received my portion and this is one more closed chapter of getting on with the grieving from my mother's death last year. So to anyone out there who may be in the same situation, hang in there and don't give up. It took me a year to date to fight this but now the fight is over. Thanks to those who gave great suggestion!

Last edited:

BlondiePB

pacormier said:
It's amazing how things turn out sometimes when you have to get "ugly" and threaten with attorneys. I contacted the Texas Board of Insurance and they were able to give me some good advice. I then called the non-paying insurance company and told them that my attorney wanted to see a copy of my mom's life policy. They were extremely hesitant and then I mentioned to her that I also contacted the TX Board of Insurance and that they told me the insurance company was "not being very nice to me" by not wanted to pay me my fair portion by my mother's wishes. The tone changed from day to night and the agent then told me that she would speak to her supervisor to see if they could open a separate policy and then pay me my half since my sister was refusing to sign off. Then they agreed that I should not be punished for my sisters actions. Low and behold, a few days later, the agent calls and says that the check is in the mail. They made good and I have received my portion and this is one more chapter of getting own with the grieving from my mother's death last year. So to anyone out there who may be in the same situation, hang in there and don't give up. It took me a year to date to fight this but now the fight is over. Thanks to those who gave great suggestion!
You are welcome. Thanks for posting back with your results. We like knowing about happy endings. :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">