• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sisters Take Control

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

fern miller

What is the name of your state? NEW JERSEY

MY MOTHER DIED 2 MONTHS AGO SHE HAD A WILL . MY YOUNGER SISTER HAS POWER OF ATTORNEY , SHE HAS TOLD ME THERE WAS NO MONEY LEFT AFTER ALL THE BILLS WERE PAID. MY OLDER SISTER SAID MY MOTHER DIDN'T LEAVE ANYTHING TO ME. I HAVE NOT DARED TO ASK TO SEE THE WILL . I JUST STARTED TO SPEAK TO MY SISTER AFTER 3 YEARS . HER SON IS A BIG LAWYER IN NEW YORK, AND I AM SURE HE HAS TOLD HER HOW TO HANDLE THE SITUATION. DO I HAVE ANY RECOURSE EVEN IF THE ANSWER IS NEGATIVE.

S

seniorjudge

fern miller said:
What is the name of your state? NEW JERSEY

MY MOTHER DIED 2 MONTHS AGO SHE HAD A WILL . MY YOUNGER SISTER HAS POWER OF ATTORNEY , SHE HAS TOLD ME THERE WAS NO MONEY LEFT AFTER ALL THE BILLS WERE PAID. MY OLDER SISTER SAID MY MOTHER DIDN'T LEAVE ANYTHING TO ME. I HAVE NOT DARED TO ASK TO SEE THE WILL . I JUST STARTED TO SPEAK TO MY SISTER AFTER 3 YEARS . HER SON IS A BIG LAWYER IN NEW YORK, AND I AM SURE HE HAS TOLD HER HOW TO HANDLE THE SITUATION. DO I HAVE ANY RECOURSE EVEN IF THE ANSWER IS NEGATIVE.
Dare to ask to see the will.

Dandy Don

Before asking her for the will, check at the county courthouse probate court to see if it has been filed there (normally that is done within 30 days after the death). If it is filed you can get a copy there.

She probably used POA to get the money out of the accounts before mom died, so don't be surprised if there is not much left in the estate. The POA expired at mom's death, so if she claimed any monies after the date of death, those transactions were illegal and that money should be put back into the estate.

Let's hope mom had other assets that needed to be probated so that hopefully you might get something.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">