• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Slow Lawyer?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

T9597

I have a lawyer in Okla. that is suppose to
be handling my husbands probate who passed
away Aug. of 99. I haven't heard anything
since April of 2000. I have tried several
times to call him, but he won't return my
calls. All I want to know is what is going
on with the case. What do I do!

H

hannah jo

The duration varies with the size and complexity of the estate, the difficulty in locating the beneficiaries who would take under the Will, if there is one, and under state law. If there is a Will contest, or anyone objects to any actions of the Personal Representative, things can really drag out. Some matters have taken decades to resolve.
The attorney works for the estate - and should be accountabel to the personal representative who is handling the estate. The personal rep should contact the attorney, in writing, and request to be updated on the status. If no response - remember, the attorney can be fired and replaced with someone who will respond to inquiries from his/her clients.

------------------
Please note that these comments do not constitute legal advice. It is always recommended that you consult with a local attorney, who can explore all the facts and issues of your specific situation and then advise you of any legal rights and remedies you may have under the current laws of your jurisdiction.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">