• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Social Security Death Benefits

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

denise_109

What is the name of your state? Mississippi

When I was 17, I had a baby. The baby's father died when I was pregnant. The father's name is on the birth certificate. I have filed for SS Death Benefits for my son, but they keep saying he's not eligible. My son't father worked continuously for about a year and a half before his death. My son's grandmother says that she has seen proof that her son worked enough quarters to make my son eligible. Now I am in the process of collecting his work records so that I can file an appeal with the social security office. Several people I've talked to have said that it shouldn't matter how long he worked, my son should still be able to collect benefits. Does anyone know anything about this? I can't afford a lawyer, or I would have one.

Denise

Dandy Don

You seem to be a little bit confused about the term "death benefits". There is a one-time death benefit payment of about $255 that is given to help pay for the funeral--have you asked the Social Security Department about this?

What you need to be asking about is survivor benefits for a surviving child. (I have not gotten the name exactly correct, but you are asking about general benefits). If you have already spoken to someone at the Social Security Office about this and you have been denied, then there is nothing else for you to do.

Are you married to your son's father or not? Do you have any type of job history that shows you have worked longer than a year? Yes, he has to have worked a certain number of quarters but the Social Security Office can tell you whether or not he has worked that long and is eligible or not, since they can check his records electronically.

If you still feel there is something that might give you grounds to appeal, then you need to be speaking to a local attorney who specializes in dealing with Social Security--first consultation is usually free or very inexpensive.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">