• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Social Security when parent dies?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

4gals1guy

I am the mother of 2 children. If I die, will they recieve Social Security? If so, how much? And who will manage it? I live in Illinois.

A

advisor10

3-8-2002

DEAR 4GALS:

You need to visit your local Social Security Office in person to get this question answered. If you and/or your husband are working now or have a past history of employment, then chances are very strong that the children WILL qualify to receive Social Security, perhaps about a few hundred dollars monthly. You may want to consider having a will drawn up that would officially name a guardian whom you want to help take care of the kids, if you don't want someone appointed by a government agency (such as a foster care family, etc.) to do it.

SINCERELY,

advisor

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">