• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Special Needs Trust

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Theresa51

What is the name of your state? Oklahoma
I have been named Trustee for my brother who is mentally retarded from birth and is living independently in section 8 housing in the State of Virginia. Trust was funded through mothers will with secondary beneficiary's. Brother is receiving Social Security Disability based on fathers work record. He has medicare and pays for supplemental health insurance. At this point I don't have to worry about SSI or Medicaid. However does anyone have links to a web page that would educate me on the rules regarding what Section 8 considers income in regards to a Trust. I was told that I could make payments directly to providers and that would not be considered income to him, however I think Section 8 has different rules than other government programs. I certainly don't want to jeapordize his housing. At this point no disbursements of any kind are paid to him or on his behalf and the Trust pays taxes on the income in generates through investments. Also in the future if disbursements are made directly to provider does this get reported to IRS when filing Trust taxes?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">