• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Which state to file for estate entitlement?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

DairyMoore

My cousin lived/died in Nevada - buried by the county 10 years ago. She had no immediate family. We recently found out about her death. Her only asset is a small mineral interest in Oklahoma. If I wanted to file for entitlement to her 'estate', would I file in Nevada or Oklahoma?

Last edited:

nextwife

How do you know her assets were not seized to pay back the county and pay any creditors she may have owed?

DairyMoore

I am not sure of anything at this point. I know that nothing h s been filed in the county courthouse where the minerals are located. I corresponded with the county Public Administrator in Nevada & they did confiscate one dividend check but said that was all. I am currently waiting to get a death certificate and copy of records from the coroner. I will be listed on the coronors report as next of kin. Until I have some documents in hand, I cannot access her credit or social security records ; or the oil production company records to see what has been done with the proceeds of her dividends. When I do get the documents, I'm sure I will need to get a court to appoint me as adnubustrator. But do I file in Nevada where she lived & died; or, in Oklahoma where I live & she was born & has assests?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">