• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

state laws and wills

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

TimH

I've seen examples of sample wills, and have heard warnings about the differences in State laws. Does anybody have a reference or summary of the differences that might appear in a will based on the State of residence?
I know for example that the legal age for creating a will varies from State to State, but it wouldn't actually change the substance of that will. The only differences I can find reference to are; disinheriting a spouse or children, and the community property States. Is there anything else that would force a change to the content of a will from State to State.

Thanks,
Tim.

L

loku

The only other things I can think of off hand is that states differ as to the number of witnesses required and on powers, duties, and liabilities of the administrators. However, the safest thing to do is post which states you are interested in. Then the requirements for each specific state can be looked up.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">