• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

State of Residency for a foreigner on travel

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sylvain

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

I'm a Canadian citizen, with a green card who has worked 9yrs in Texas. I'm on a 2 yrs travel plan abroad with no date of return in mind and I'm in process of writing a will. Not sure if I'll return to Texas or in the US.

All of my assets are of financial nature, no kids, no wife., no real-estate. Most of my financial assets are held with US financial institutions with some of held with Canadian institutions. The beneficiaries, in case of death, will be in Canada.

I'm no longer living in the US being on travel for the past 2 yrs abroad. However, However, I'm maintaining a US postal address for all of my accounts (credit cards, banks, etc) through a private post management service.

Question: Can I use Texas as my state of location if I'm not actually living there?

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">