• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Statue of Limitation for suing an estate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

chlgoch

Can a person come after an estate after it has been distributed?

What is the statue of limitation for suing the estate? (wisconsin)

If there is something in the will stating that a certain piece of property be excluded from the will can it be later added by another family member after the death of original will creator?

BlondiePB

Yes, if the statutes of limitations has not expired.
What is the statue of limitation for suing the estate? (wisconsin)
Have you looked in WI's state statutes under Probate/Estates?
If there is something in the will stating that a certain piece of property be excluded from the will can it be later added by another family member after the death of original will creator?
No.

JETX

Depends on what claim is being made.
However, in general, once an estate has been closed it would be unusual to sue the estate and far more common for a person or business to pursue litigation against the EXECUTOR of the estate if they didn't follow applicable laws.

What is the statue of limitation for suing the estate?
Depends entirely on the claim being made.

Unlikely, but it depends entirely on the specifics.

chlgoch

well here is the entire story:

A building was purchased by a person involved in opening it as a homeless shelter with me. I was going through a divorce and she had issues with her exhusban as well so we both agreed to put the building in my mother's name.

The partner lef the business creating a lot of debt for the homeless shelter by using my personal credit cards (which was only to be ussed for the shelter) and used thhem for her private use.

She left the business and filed a bankruptcy and she ever listed the homeless shelter as property she owned. She did however list me in the bankruptcy.

My mother included in her will that the homeless shelter would not be a part of her estate. She passed away August 2005, and we list in the newspaper that the she has passed.

My expartner filed a lawsuit trying to get her money back, stating that she owned the building. We ended up goiong to arbitration and the judge ruled in favor myself, stating that she has no claim to the building.

Now she is trying to suit my mother's estate over a year later. The estate is not dispersed as of right now because my 8 brothers and sisters are trying to make a claim on the building that they want to sell it to pay back the expartner.

Can this be done in Wisconsin???

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">