• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Statute of limitations?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Chuzzle

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia

My father passed away in March of 09 and I just learned today that I am the sole beneficiary of his savings account. The estate was probated and closed in May. I never received any type of correspondence from the bank regarding this account, at least that I am aware of - it was basically a case of, "we thought you knew, no we thought they told you."

My question is, is there a time limit for a beneficiary to claim what was left to them in regards to a bank account?

anteater

Do you mean that you are the designated beneficiary on this account? Not by way of a bequest in a will, but named the beneficiary on the account paperwork.

If so, have you taken a death certificate and your identification to the bank and requested the funds?

Chuzzle

I am named the beneficiary on the account paperwork itself. And I have not gone to claim the funds because I was not aware that I was the beneficiary until today. Is it too late?

Kiawah

No you are not too late, that account would still be there. Make an appointment with one of the managers, and take in a copy of the death certificate.....and proof of who you are.

Chuzzle

They should already have the death certificate since all the other accounts have been closed by the personal representative.

anteater

They should already have the death certificate since all the other accounts have been closed by the personal representative.
Take one anyway. The PR, with letters testamentary, may or may not have had to provide a death certificate.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">