• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Statute of Limitations for Trust in Florida

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

beijin1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Florida

I have been left some money by an elderly friend. He passed away Jan 26, 2008. He had a trust drawn up in Florida. His nephew is the executor. (up in Chicago.) My friends son is not happy about the amount he is receiving from the trust. 60% of the trust has already been distributed. Now the son is trying to block the rest of the money from being distributed. My questions are: can he have the trust changed making him the executor? Will he be able to stop the rest of the money from being distributed? and what is the statute of limitations regarding this?

Thank you for any help that you can give regarding this matter

Sue Jones.

anteater

The person who administers a trust is called a trustee, rather than an executor.

My questions are: can he have the trust changed making him the executor? Will he be able to stop the rest of the money from being distributed?
The son can contest the trust. The son can petition the court to replace the trustee. Whether the son would be appointed as the replacement trustee is up to the court. If the trust provides for a successor trustee or a majority of the beneficiaries object, it is doubtful.

Have you communicated with the trustee to find out what is going on?

Dandy Don

Have you received a copy of the trust yet, and do you know how much you are supposed to be receiving from it? Hire a trust attorney (for purposes of consultation only) so you can figure out if there is anything else he or you can do to speed up payment and/or protect your interests in this matter.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">