• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Step Children

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

saara

What is the name of your state? Maine

My father passed in March and had an old will from 1988 where he left everything to his wife ( since divorced ) and named his blood daughters and his two step sons in the will. Since he was divorced I understand that the first part of the will naming my step mother is null and void due to the divorce. Would the divorce also make the step children null and void too?

BelizeBreeze

saara said:
What is the name of your state? Maine

My father passed in March and had an old will from 1988 where he left everything to his wife ( since divorced ) and named his blood daughters and his two step sons in the will.
His 'wife' may or may not take under the will. It will depend entirely on the EXACT wording of the will itself.
Since he was divorced I understand that the first part of the will naming my step mother is null and void due to the divorce.
And that is not necessarily true.
Would the divorce also make the step children null and void too?
Yes and no. Again, it depends ENTIRELY on the exact wording of the will.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">