• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Step Children

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TLA

What is the name of your state?
Pennsylvania

My husband has 4 children and I have 1. His children are 12, 18, 20 and 25, my child is 20. And we've been married for 6 years.

What is the fairest way to divide our cash property? We're having a little problem with this because I feel that his children already get everything (they all have their mother and father) my daughter only has me.

Also, if we were both to die now is there anyway to hold this cash disbursement from our bank accounts and life insurance until they were to reach a certain age?

Thanks for your help.

Tammy

seniorjudge

TLA said:
What is the name of your state?
Pennsylvania

My husband has 4 children and I have 1. His children are 12, 18, 20 and 25, my child is 20. And we've been married for 6 years.

What is the fairest way to divide our cash property? We're having a little problem with this because I feel that his children already get everything (they all have their mother and father) my daughter only has me.

Also, if we were both to die now is there anyway to hold this cash disbursement from our bank accounts and life insurance until they were to reach a certain age?

Thanks for your help.

Tammy

Tammy, while these are all valid questions, how do you expect anyone here to be able to answer them?

TLA

seniorjudge said:
Tammy, while these are all valid questions, how do you expect anyone here to be able to answer them?
Just looking for guidance from people who are experienced in this area. We are in our 40s and have never planned our estate. We wanted to know what has worked fairly well for others in this situation and we wanted to hear from professionals on what they think about this topic.

Thanks,
Tammy

seniorjudge

TLA said:
Just looking for guidance from people who are experienced in this area. We are in our 40s and have never planned our estate. We wanted to know what has worked fairly well for others in this situation and we wanted to hear from professionals on what they think about this topic.

Thanks,
Tammy
Have a living trust drawn up with each kid getting a share over a period of time; that way they won't spend it all at once.

Stand by for other opinions....

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
seniorjudge said:
Have a living trust drawn up with each kid getting a share over a period of time; that way they won't spend it all at once.

Stand by for other opinions....
I agree with this! I also suggest that if you want your daughter to get something just from you, get some life insurance and put just her as a beneficiary. Let your husband get life insurance and put his kids as beneficiaries on it. That way you each provide for your children.

TLA

Thank you both - these were really good ideas. I wasn't aware that we could specify amounts to be disbursed over a period of time - thanks again.

seniorjudge

TLA said:
Thank you both - these were really good ideas. I wasn't aware that we could specify amounts to be disbursed over a period of time - thanks again.
Insurance proceeds can be directed to a living trust also. Some people, when they get a big wad of money, spend it all at once.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">