• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Stepfather and my inheratince

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

My mother passed away almost 3 years ago and was on disability social security. My stepfather recieved over 3,000 for me and I never knew about it until I had to have the papers for college. He lives in Texas and I live in Oklahoma. I was 17 at the time of her death and it was stated to him that if anything happened to her I was to recieve her half of everything, including the house. My stepfather got married over a year ago and his new wife won't work. She takes my mothers money and buys stuff for her kids. My stepfather refuses to give me any of the money that was left to me. The house won't be sold, but he told me that if anything happens to him, it's already been put in his new wifes name. Is that legal? Can he do that without my signature? Can he refuse to give me the money that was left to me? In all total, there is over 60,000 dollars here that is part of my inheratince that he refuses to give me, I have not asked for anything from him and I have been told that I cannot live in my mothers home again because it would cause too many problems between his new family. What are my legal rights?

ALawyer

This requres a lawyer in your state to resolve.

If you were a named beneficiary in a Will, you are entitled to what the Will says; if there was no Will, you are entitled to what (if anything) your Mom's state's law provided, and that may also be impacted by how the property was held -- if it was held as "joint property" it is now all his.

A

advisor10

You Need To Do Some Research, First

12-6-2000

What city and state did your mother die in? You need to call or write a letter to the county courthouse for that city, ATTENTION: Probate Records Section, to find out whether or not your mother had a will--if she did, it would be filed at the county courthouse. If you don't know the address, send me an e-mail and I will get it for you.

You need to look at the will and all other financial documents in her probate file to find out the names of the executor of the estate to see how they handled her assets and then contact them to find out why you were not contacted. If she had will and you were named as a beneficiary, then you should have been notified about your inheritance. If you were not notified, then you should try to find a probate attorney or business law attorney in the city where the county courthouse is. You would be in a position to sue to get your share of what is coming to you.
An attorney would also be able to advise you how to proceed about getting your share of the house, if possible.

If she did not have a will and her assets were put in trust, then you may be out of luck, as trust documents are not public. Also please consider checking at the company where she was employed (if she worked) to find out what companies she may have had life insurance policies with.

SINCERELY,

[email protected]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">