• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

stepmother dies

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

pooh2u

What is the name of your state? Tn
my stepmother passed away on 11-30-03 she was handling my fathers estate (10-01-02) i have filed a petition to be the executrix for his estate and i am also hers. my stepmother met a man and he took advantage of her she was not in her right mind after having a stroke a few ago. he talked her into filing for a lost title on my fathers car and signing it over to him he also used her credit cards for personal use, is there any way to make him pay for the use of her credit cards?
he also took his lawyer to her hospitial room where she was on her death bed and could not speak to get her to change her will (lawyer hold her handand him ask my stepmother question and my stepmother squeese the lawyer hand if she agreed) is this something normal for a lawyer to do?

also a check was taken out of the back of her check book and was written the day after she died, the girl that wrote the check said that the lawyer told her she could do this.
this lawyer is not the probate lawyer did she have any right to tell this lady that she could write this check?my stepmother was going to use this lawyer to repesent her in my father estate because the probate lawyer told her he could not do both. I hope this is making some kind of since ( if not im sure that i will be told). i hope some one can point me in the right way to handle this man. he also said that my stepmother owes him 9000.00 for work that he did on my fathers house,which was painting the basement and replacing a pipe.

H

hexeliebe

I'm going to bump this to the top. Although I have definate ideas on how to proceed, you need more detailed advice than I can give.

Dandy Don

You need to be talking to a local probate attorney as soon as possible. This newer will was done under undue influence and you need to be contesting it and finding out other advice to stop this man's attempts to rob the estate. Unless he can produce a signed contract/agreement to verify his work on the house, that probably won't even be paid as it is an obvious attempt to overcharge, IF he even did the work it seems an outrageous amount to be billing.

The shenanigans with the check is also very suspicious AND improper. Was the girl able to cash the check? Just because girl said that lawyer told her she could do it doesn't make it right, and even if he did say it HE was incorrect unless there is some other fact that hasn't been brought out yet. Get help with this estate so you can defeat these scumbags.

P

pooh2u

yes she took the check to a local store and used it to buy her children christmas but It seems very strange to me that the store did not ask for her ID. and as far as the man he was waiting on his disibility to start and was using my step mother to the max, i have started going over bank records and he was very smart to have her write the checks out for cash so his name would not appear, the checks were from 200.00 to 700.00 and in knowing my stepmother for 22 years i know that she would have never went to the bank to get that much money out at a time. i have been in contact with a probate attorney and we have not had a chance to talk so i thought i would ask in here. thank you so much for your reply..

P

pooh2u

i forgot to say that the will did not get changed because one of the people that they wanted to witness the will refused to be apart of it and the doctor came into her room and chased the lawyer and this man out. is this a normal thing for an attorney to do and if not is there something that can be done for her doing this? if there is something that can be done who would i contact first. thank you very much.

P

pooh2u

I just thought that I would let you know that we have had the girl arrested and we go to court on that next week. The officer also said that when he finnished with the girl he was going after the man who befriend my step mother..

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">