• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

stolen inheritance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

AnneDL53

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
California

So my mom left accounts for my brother, sister and I with about $10,000 in each. They only had her name on the account so when she passes away my dad could not access them when I turned 18 he asked to put his name on the account so he could help it make more money by moving things around.He explained to me that it was my college money and to be used for school only and also led me to believe that he couldn't withdraw any of the money unless it was for my schooling. I allow him to add his name and then before I turn 21 and can access the account he simply empties it and denies me any of the money. He also did this to my brother, although he had no idea what he had signed over or anything about the account, yet my dad emptied his account and my younger sisters, although I think she was so young he did not need her consent. Is there anything I could do here? I know legally I signed him onto the account but I was just hoping there was some way I could fight this.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Sue the bad guy. If you sue in small claims court, then you would only be able to recover a maximum of $7,500.00.

Did your mom have a will? If not, then your dad was entitled to a fair-sized chunk of that money, as was your siblings.

ETA: Were your parents married to each other at the time of your mom's death? That may change my prior information.

AnneDL53

Yes they were married. It was money given to her from her grandfather and she put it into 3 seperate accounts with our names and her name I believe although maybe just in our names since my dad could not access it without me. I also believe she had a will, however I never saw it.

Zigner

Yes they were married. It was money given to her from her grandfather and she put it into 3 seperate accounts with our names and her name I believe although maybe just in our names since my dad could not access it without me. I also believe she had a will, however I never saw it.
How long ago did this occur? Also, the will would likely control the distribution of this money.

AnneDL53

I turned 21 in May of 2011 and that is when I learned the account was empty however, he had emptied it in April of 2010. I signed him onto the account in October of 2009 I think. Is there any way to look at her will without getting it from him?

Zigner

I turned 21 in May of 2011 and that is when I learned the account was empty however, he had emptied it in April of 2010. I signed him onto the account in October of 2009 I think. Is there any way to look at her will without getting it from him?
"Your" money is gone - he had every legal right to withdraw it.

curb1

AnneDL53,

Was "Dad" your biological Dad? What did he say about the money? Did he apologize, or anything?

Zigner

AnneDL53,

Was "Dad" your biological Dad? What did he say about the money? Did he apologize, or anything?
What difference would THAT make?

I'm sorry this person lost the money they thought was theirs...doesn't mean that it's MY fault.

AnneDL53

Yes he is my biological Dad. He is now using the money to build him and my stepmother and their 3 children they have together along with her 2 from a previous marriage and my one sister a new house from the ground up complete with pool and jacuzzi. Kicked my 18 year old brother out with nothing and has not apologized once. I know legally it was his money Just was wondering if there was anything I could do because it just pissed me off so much that he was so sneaky about it.

Thanks for the advice

curb1

Looking back, it is easy now to understand why your mother segregated this money for her children. She knew your father's personality. Too bad that her desires were circumvented by a devious person.

Zigner

Looking back, it is easy now to understand why your mother segregated this money for her children. She knew your father's personality. Too bad that her desires were circumvented by a devious person.
You're ASSuming that you have the entire story. We do not, by any means.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">