• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Stolen possesions from mom born intestate - Please Help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cakebake32

Massachusetts

My mom recently passed away at the age of 46 two days ago. She did not write up a will. I am tradgedized by everything that is going on. The day after she died my uncle and aunt drove up to her old house (30 miles away) and stole her wallet with 2000 dollars in it, her car, her Iphone and they keys to her house. Her wallet has my birth certicate and social securiyt number in there. He said over the phone to my guardian I am with now that he is going to junk the car for $400. My guardian who had known my mom for four years knows deep down in his heart that my mom would have wanted nothing else then that car going to me. Also her phone has memorable pictures on there that mean the world to me. The thought of hearing these words makes me sick to my stomach. I just want to know what is going to be done legally here and what actions I should be taking. I strongly feel contacted the policeneeds to be done but my guardian said give it one more day. I have already contacted my lawyer and my mothers attorney attorneys. Please any input would beso appreciated.

FlyingRon

What people think your mom wanted (or even what your mom wanted) is IMMATERIAL in the case of an intestate estate.
While what your aunt and uncle has done is inexcusable, you've got the right solution. The estate and your attorney. If there are other heirs (brothers and sisters of yours), you can band together to get this taken care of.

lester12345

Massachusetts

My mom recently passed away at the age of 46 two days ago. She did not write up a will. I am tradgedized by everything that is going on. The day after she died my uncle and aunt drove up to her old house (30 miles away) and stole her wallet with 2000 dollars in it, her car, her Iphone and they keys to her house. Her wallet has my birth certicate and social securiyt number in there. He said over the phone to my guardian I am with now that he is going to junk the car for $400. My guardian who had known my mom for four years knows deep down in his heart that my mom would have wanted nothing else then that car going to me. Also her phone has memorable pictures on there that mean the world to me. The thought of hearing these words makes me sick to my stomach. I just want to know what is going to be done legally here and what actions I should be taking. I strongly feel contacted the policeneeds to be done but my guardian said give it one more day. I have already contacted my lawyer and my mothers attorney attorneys. Please any input would beso appreciated.

Suggest you follow your lawyer's advice. Without a will, you and any brothers/sisters would get her assets - Not the people who took any assets.

justalayman

since you have started the process of involving the attorneys, it is best to continue on with that. Realize that what those relatives did is illegal and if they do not return estate property, they can be prosecuted. If the property is not returned by those that stole it (yes, they actually stole the property), the police should be involved so as to prevent the disposal or loss in general of the property in question.

the fact that you have a guardian (why?) will result in the need for your guardian to act on your behalf.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">