• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

stuck in the middle

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

bned

my mother died oct 1, 2001 in florida and the house was in her name alone and also up for sale. My stepfather has sold the house and the closing is jan 19, 2002. My two brothers and myself have to sign off on the sale of the house. My brothers are refusing to sign off because the price was dropped $25,000 and they want to see exact statements of my mother's liabilities. I have every intention of signing off on the sale of the house, when I receive the paperwork. Right now, my brothers have the paperwork. Can we be sued for not signing off on the sale ? How would I be liable if I did not receive the paperwork ?

A

advisor10

12-10-2001

DEAR BNED:

I don't think you can be sued--there would be no grounds for a lawsuit. You are just making what you think is a prudent business decision, I guess in the hopes that you think another buyer could/should be found who could pay a higher price.

(1) Who is the executor of your mother's estate? That is the person you should be contacting to find out what your mother's liabilities/debts are. If you don't know who the executor is, check at the county courthouse to see if her will has been filed yet. If it has, the file will contain the name and address of the executor.

(2) What is the value of the house? What is the value of your mother's estate, not including the house?

(3) Make sure that the document you have been asked to sign is NOT a quitclaim deed, which means you would be SIGNING AWAY your rights to your inherited share of the home. I assume that the paperwork you were presented is asking your permission for the sale to be done.

SINCERELY,

[email protected]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">