• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Succession

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

crburns

Louisiana

The last of my 2 parents died 4 years ago. The Will basically gave all 5 children equal shares, but did not specifically divide anything. The estate basiclally consists of land acreage with a house on it. As one of the heirs, I want to insure that I am not "locked in" to the expense & burden of maintaining a house & the surrounding farmland. For that reason I refuse to form an LLC with my siblings as it would be very difficult to "get out". At least one other sibling agrees with me. A relative (brother-in law) is doing the succession. Are we required to decide NOW before the succession whether the 5 of us will "own it as one" vs physically dividing up the property into 5 pieces? If not, will that be more difficult to accomplish AFTER the succession? How do I allow this succession to proceed but still ensure that I have the freedom to "sell out" if I so choose? If I want to sell out & my siblings do not want to purchase, will I be "stuck" & forced to hang onto my portion of the assets.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">