• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Successor Trustee refuses to distribute assets

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ArthurC

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? AZ
I am a beneficiary of a family trust. The creators (settlors) of the trust have been deceased for several years. The trust clearly instructs the successor trustee to transfer a deed to me. The successor trustee refuses and says he has a legal right to retain the assets for a certain number of years, I think 15 or 20 years. This is not stated in the trust, and I know that the creators of the trust neither knew of such a provision nor intended it to be exercised. I have been paying the taxes since the death of the last surviving settlor. Is there a law underlying family trusts which allows him to refuse to distribute assets? How may I obtain my property?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? AZ
I am a beneficiary of a family trust. The creators (settlors) of the trust have been deceased for several years. The trust clearly instructs the successor trustee to transfer a deed to me. The successor trustee refuses and says he has a legal right to retain the assets for a certain number of years, I think 15 or 20 years. This is not stated in the trust, and I know that the creators of the trust neither knew of such a provision nor intended it to be exercised. I have been paying the taxes since the death of the last surviving settlor. Is there a law underlying family trusts which allows him to refuse to distribute assets? How may I obtain my property?
Who is the trustee? Is it family member or an attorney, a bank officer who? Most likely your only option would be to hire an attorney to handle the matter.

ArthurC

In answer to who is the successor trustee, he is a family member. I am trying to avoid the necessity of suing, so I want to be able to persuade him with a knowledge of my rights or his lack of them. My general question is whether there are such provisions in trust law which allow a successor trustee to retain assets for many years even if that is not stated in the actual trust. Also, if I don't technically own the property yet, is the trust obliged to pay the taxes?

LdiJ

In answer to who is the successor trustee, he is a family member. I am trying to avoid the necessity of suing, so I want to be able to persuade him with a knowledge of my rights or his lack of them. My general question is whether there are such provisions in trust law which allow a successor trustee to retain assets for many years even if that is not stated in the actual trust. Also, if I don't technically own the property yet, is the trust obliged to pay the taxes?
The possibility exists that there may be something in your state law that permits the trustee to retain the assets that long. It would be odd, but the possibility exists. Since the property has not been distributed to you the trust really should be paying the property taxes. However, if the trust does not have any liquid assets that are not designated for someone else, that poses a problem.

Again, talk to a local attorney even if you are not ready to sue anyone at this time.

tranquility

There is no way to know without seeing the wording of the trust. If it is not a violation of the trust, they can hold the assets until at least 21 years after the death of some life in being at the creation of the trust. (I don't know if AZ has extended or abrogated the rule against perpetuties.) As to the tax issue, there is simply no way of knowing. Many trusts pass through the taxes to the beneficiary because it is far cheaper for them than the trust to pay.

I suspect the true answer lies in taking the trust to an attorney for review.

ArthurC

Thanks for your answers. I have studied the trust plenty and there is nothing stated in the trust to suggest any right to hold assets this way. So the question is whether there are trust laws that allow this even if it is not stated in the trust. Would the wording in the trust need to explicitly prohibit this to override such a law?

Since I once took this trust to a lawyer for another reason, I know that it costs hundreds of dollars to hire a lawyer to even read it, and they will insist on reading every word, even the 90%+ of it that could not possibly apply. That lawyer is not available and wouldn't remember anyway.

There is money enough in the trust to pay the taxes, so the question here is whether the trust would be obligated to pay the taxes until the deed is transferred.

It was the clear intention of the creators of the trust that I own the property. Since I'm old enough to reasonably be dead before the given time, I wonder whether without the deed I have any right to sell or do any other legal thing related to the property. If not, and if there is a legal provision (unspecified in the actual trust) which would allow a trustee to withhold it, this would suggest a built-in provision for theft by default, which seems implausible, doesn't it? Would the law allow this?

LdiJ

Thanks for your answers. I have studied the trust plenty and there is nothing stated in the trust to suggest any right to hold assets this way. So the question is whether there are trust laws that allow this even if it is not stated in the trust. Would the wording in the trust need to explicitly prohibit this to override such a law?

Since I once took this trust to a lawyer for another reason, I know that it costs hundreds of dollars to hire a lawyer to even read it, and they will insist on reading every word, even the 90%+ of it that could not possibly apply. That lawyer is not available and wouldn't remember anyway.

There is money enough in the trust to pay the taxes, so the question here is whether the trust would be obligated to pay the taxes until the deed is transferred.

It was the clear intention of the creators of the trust that I own the property. Since I'm old enough to reasonably be dead before the given time, I wonder whether without the deed I have any right to sell or do any other legal thing related to the property. If not, and if there is a legal provision (unspecified in the actual trust) which would allow a trustee to withhold it, this would suggest a built-in provision for theft by default, which seems implausible, doesn't it? Would the law allow this?
Do you know what the trustee's motive is in keeping the property in trust and refusing to distribute it?

tranquility

The trust must be followed. While you want to put things the other way, in that you get what you want unless it is prohibited; that is not the way trusts work. If there is not a specific provision that the property is to be distributed to you now, the trustee is not in violation. At some point, a right must vest or fail to vest. The default is 21 years from the death of some life in being at the time of the creation of the interest. In 2009, the rule was changed with A.R.S. �14-2901 so now a trust can ALSO choose a different time like a flat 90 years or the new 500 years.
Yet, that is the only way you will know.
It depends on the trust's wording. There is often a taxes clause which shifts the burden to the beneficiaires in order to save taxes. It may not be worded obviously, but may have something to the effect of having a goal of paying the least amount of taxes on the assets. If the trust does not direct liability away, the trust should pay the taxes. If these are, in fact, property taxes, if the trust pays them, the amount going to the beneficiary can be reduced. Everything depends on the trust. I don't think a person who does not have training and some experience can effectively read many trust clauses. That's why an attorney wants to read the parts that cannot possibly apply. Because, they often do.
You can always sell your potential rights. There would be a huge discount and I find it unlikely it would be very alienable anyway. But, you never know. The "clear intention of the creators of the trust" are embodied in the trust's words. They make specific law for specific facts. As one court said, "The issue of intent as it relates to the interpretation of a trust instrument is to be determined by examination of the language of the trust instrument itself and not by extrinsic evidence of actual intent."... "A reviewing court cannot rewrite a trust instrument. The expressed intent must control, although this is to be determined from reading the instrument as a whole in the light of the circumstances surrounding the settlor when the instrument was executed, including the condition of the estate, the relations to family and beneficiaries, and their situation and condition. The construing court will put itself as far as possible in the position of the settlor, in the effort to construe any uncertain language used by the settlor in such a way as shall, conformably to the language, give force and effect to the settlor's intention. But the quest is to determine the meaning of what the settlor said and not to speculate upon what he/she meant to say." Where a court has stepped in to rewrite/reform, in the only times I've seen, are where there was a failure of trustee succession for some reason. There could certainly be other reasons, but it is very unusual.

ArthurC

I do not know for a fact what his motivations are or what he would claim in court. I could tell you what little he said and what I believe to be true, but I don't think it would be useful here. What motivation would be valid?

The intentions of the settlors are well known within the family. The trust instructs the successor trustee to transfer the deed to me, period. It doesn't say when, but neither does it say "if" or any other qualification. From the sound of it, when we create a trust we had better say "without delay upon death of the surviving settlor" or else risk the successor trustee maybe withholding the assets at his discretion. Does this describe the situation?

I appreciate the view that someone without training may miss something. I'm convinced that is not the case here, but I won't belabor this point. Assume I'm correct that there is nothing in the wording of the trust suggesting that the trust creators wanted or provided for years of delay distributing the assets and taxing the beneficiary who is being denied his property. I will take responsibility for flawed answers if I am wrong. If I am right, would he have a case?

curb1

If you were to die before the distribution from the trust, who would get the house? How many other beneficiaries are involved? Have they received anything?

ArthurC

If I were to die now, the property (I assume you mean by "house") would presumably go to the other beneficiaries, of whom the successor trustee is one. That is, it would be in the trust and the beneficiaries would be the heirs. But since no assets have been distributed to any heirs yet, I would guess the property would be sold and the money become part of the trust and managed as the successor trustee sees fit. What this signals for me is that I had better make a will as soon as possible if I want any control over what happens. I'm assuming the successor trustee cannot sell the property while I'm alive.

curb1

What do the other beneficiaries think about this? Are you on the "outs" with them? How much personal contact do you have with the trustee? There must be some reason for this. What is the nature of all of the assets in the trust? Who is living in the house at this time? How much is the house worth?

LdiJ

If I were to die now, the property (I assume you mean by "house") would presumably go to the other beneficiaries, of whom the successor trustee is one. That is, it would be in the trust and the beneficiaries would be the heirs. But since no assets have been distributed to any heirs yet, I would guess the property would be sold and the money become part of the trust and managed as the successor trustee sees fit. What this signals for me is that I had better make a will as soon as possible if I want any control over what happens. I'm assuming the successor trustee cannot sell the property while I'm alive.
So, you are saying that there are multiple beneficiaries of this trust, including the trustee? If so, would then the house be distributed by putting all of you on the deed?...or by selling the house and splitting the proceeds? What I am trying to get at here is whether there is any potential malfeasance going on and the trustee is using the money in the trust to his/her benefit, and that is why he/she doesn't want to distribute the assets, or whether the trustee has a valid reason (at least within their own mind) why its better not to distribute the assets now.

For example, if the trustee, under normal circumstances, would need to sell the house and distribute the proceeds amongst several heirs, then the trustee could legitimately believe that in the current housing market its a bad time to sell a house and that it would be better to wait for more recovery of the housing market.

Or, in a malfeasance example the trustee could have made use of some of the trust funds for personal benefits and is choosing not to distribute the trust until he/she has time to replace the funds.

Or in a completely different example, if the trust includes both the house and some significant amount of more liquid assets, then the trustee may not realize that he/she can distribute part of the trust, without distributing the entire trust.

Motivation really does matter...someone with good motives can be convinced to change their mind. Someone with bad motives is another story.

tranquility

"If I were to die now, the property (I assume you mean by "house") would presumably go to the other beneficiaries, of whom the successor trustee is one. "

If this were true, you have no right to a distribution now. The property is yours or it is not. This is. One example of how the OP is missing something on how a trust and its documents work.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">