• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Suggestions on finding out about birth father's estate?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Pualani

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Hawaii

I recently discovered that my mother's first husband (wealthy, recently deceased) is my birth father of record. I have his ssn. How do I find out if I was named in the will or if I am entitled to a part of his estate?

ShyCat

Were you adopted? If so, your birth father is a legal stranger to you so you are not in line to inherit anything unless specifically named a beneficiary (which seems unlikely since you just now found out about him).

To see a will, if there is one, check with the probate court of his county.

Dandy Don

If you are not named as a beneficiary in the will, you will need to talk to a probate attorney to find out what Hawaii state probate law says about your situation.

Pualani

more hopefully helpful details

Mom was married w/ 3 teenage sons when she had affair with local Roman Catholic priest and became pregnant. She did not tell husband who thought baby was his. When I was 3, mom, me, priest left town in the middle of the night with a doctored birth certificate. Forward 40 years and credit quasi-curious nature, I sent to birth county for a copy of certificate which came back with mom's first husband as father.

Pualani

one more detail...

Birth was in Connecticut, parents relocated to California, then settled in Hawaii. Mom's first husband and my brothers remained in CT.

Pualani

Thank you for the advice

Were you adopted? If so, your birth father is a legal stranger to you so you are not in line to inherit anything unless specifically named a beneficiary (which seems unlikely since you just now found out about him).

To see a will, if there is one, check with the probate court of his county.
Many thanks for the advice. I located the county's probate court and sent for a copy of his will.

Dandy Don

If you wanted financial information about how the entire estate was handled, you should have ordered copies of the entire file, but after you read the will you can then determine if you need additional information or not.

nextwife

So when did you begin "being a daughter" to the man who was legally your father when you reached adulthood? Were you, in any way at all, "there for him" in his later years?

Silverplum

I found this info today for a poster in the "Adoption" forum:

http://www.childwelfare.gov/systemwide/laws_policies/statutes/inheritanceall.pdf

"This information is current through February 2009. The States that provide for inheritance from a deceased birth parent are Alaska, Connecticut, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Iowa, Massachusetts, Minnesota, New Jersey, North Dakota, Ohio, Oregon, Tennessee, and Wisconsin."

"In 10 States, when a child has been adopted by a stepparent, the child may inherit from either birth parent, depending on the circumstances: Alabama, Arizona, California, Colorado, Maine, Michigan, Montana, South Dakota, Utah, and Vermont."

Pualani

Reply to DandyDon & nextwife

@Dandy Don: thank you for the information. Now that I know, I will inquire into that as well once I review the will.

@nextwife: what's with the accusatory tone? Transference much? In answer to your "questions":
1) he was on his death bed in Connecticut when I received a copy of my original non-doctored birth certificate and found out that he was my birth father. My flight from Hawaii left the next day and when I arrived, he had already passed.
2) I would have loved to "be there for him" but life had other plans for us. My brothers appreciated that I was there for them.

In closing, please let me know how that sensitivity seminar works out for you.

enjay

Pualani, you've apparently known the story of your mom and the priest for some time. It is repugnant that you want to cash in on the man who is on your birth certificiate when you know full well that he isn't your biological father and that you've never had a relationship with him.

Pualani

reply to enjay

@enjay: how did you come to that conclusion? According to my brothers, I lived with them, mother and my birth father/her first husband until mother & priest/father I was raised by left with me in the middle of the night and moved to CA, then Hawaii. I did not see an undoctored copy of my bc until I was 44. I am not sure which one is my biological father. For you to throw hateful words around diminshes you and your opinion(s). Next time keep it to yourself unless you have something constructive to offer.

Pualani

reply to Silverplum

Thank you for the link. I was not adopted so I'm not sure how this would apply to my situation but I have a new wrinkle in my brain thanks to you. I appreciate your taking the time to help.

I found this info today for a poster in the "Adoption" forum:

http://www.childwelfare.gov/systemwide/laws_policies/statutes/inheritanceall.pdf

"This information is current through February 2009. The States that provide for inheritance from a deceased birth parent are Alaska, Connecticut, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Iowa, Massachusetts, Minnesota, New Jersey, North Dakota, Ohio, Oregon, Tennessee, and Wisconsin."

"In 10 States, when a child has been adopted by a stepparent, the child may inherit from either birth parent, depending on the circumstances: Alabama, Arizona, California, Colorado, Maine, Michigan, Montana, South Dakota, Utah, and Vermont."

milehightrustee

Pualani, you've apparently known the story of your mom and the priest for some time. It is repugnant that you want to cash in on the man who is on your birth certificiate when you know full well that he isn't your biological father and that you've never had a relationship with him.
I agree that it is repugnant if not downright morally wrong.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">