• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Suicide of a spouse, lots of debt - where to start?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dchelp

New Jersey:
My mother committed suicide on 6/24/08. I am writing because she had handled all of the bills and it turns out that now that the dust has settled there we are finding patchy records and lots of debt. My mother was happily married to and co-habitated with my father before her death. Most of the debt (some joint/maybe some not) preceded her death but we do have the issue of the $18,000 hospital bill for her last psychiatric hospitalization as well as hospital bills for the 4 days she spent on life support before her death. My mother had no life insurance we know of and her only assets are shared jointly with my dad (She was on SSI disability and Medicare). I am afraid they will take his house away. Can anyone tell me where to start? What kind of lawyer (i.e. specialization) should we seek out. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks much,
dc

momm2500

do not worry at the moment regarding the hospital bills. it is way to early to see what medicare is going to pay on them. the hospital needs to submit them to medicare first and usually there is an inpatient deductible that would be the responsibility of the estate. the hospital most likely just sent you a copy of the bills. contact them and advise them of the insurance mom had so they can get paid for them.

rowz

I am sorry to read of your loss.

I am a NJ resident and within the past year had to deal with the health care system regarding the emergency hospitalization of a very good friend.

Others have posted that the hospital needs to duke it out with Medicare first, rightfully so.

From what I read in your post I believe that I saw that there is a house [primary residence] and SSI and Medicare.

You can STOP WORRYING about the house. The hospital cannot attach or take your house.

You need to read: N.J.A.C. 10:52, Subchapters 11, 12, 13 Charity Care
It can be found at: http://www.state.nj.us/health/cc/documents/charity_care_section.pdf

IF....and this is a very important IF your Mom was admitted on an emergency basis, then the hospital will automatically and by law is required to default your bill to the Medicare rate.

THEN.....if the family income is below certain limits, she may be eligible for charity care and the level of assistance is on a sliding scale...again based on income. The % amount is found in the Charity Care Manual referenced above.

You may not need a lawyer to do this if when you read [and re-read and then re-read again] the rules law as referenced above. I was able to guide my friend thru the process
[twice!] now and she has had less than 2,000.00 out of pocket for service that were MANY thousands of dollars & the person owns a house.

Review the data at the links and then contact the Financial Services Department of the hospital.

Remember, it is extremely important to find out if this was an Emergency admission.

Good luck...post back with further questions.

dchelp

Thank you for all your suggestions

Hi all,
I will definitely check out all the resources you mentioned. I also put out a call to the family lawyer. He said that concerning the pre-existing debts and hospital bills, all he can do is call and try to "convince" them to lower or reduce the debts. As far as the final hospitalization, I believe it was an emergency admission since she was resuscitated by EMT's and admitted into the ICU via the ER. I hope these factors do mean that Medicare will pay most if not all of these bills - I will see check out the link above. Thanks again,
dc

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">