• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Suing a Designated Beneficiary

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

platinum-metal

What is the name of your state? NY

My mother-in-law has designated me as a beneficiary of one of her bank accounts. I expect that certain family members would want to contest that designation. If they sue (which doesn't mean they have any basis for a case) would they sue me as a passive party to being designated or would they have to sue the bank where she went and signed the papers to make this happen?

Thank you.What is the name of your state?

Betty

What is the name of your state? NY

My mother-in-law has designated me as a beneficiary of one of her bank accounts. I expect that certain family members would want to contest that designation. If they sue (which doesn't mean they have any basis for a case) would they sue me as a passive party to being designated or would they have to sue the bank where she went and signed the papers to make this happen?

Thank you.What is the name of your state?
If you are the one & only named beneficiary, the bank acct. will be yours. Other family members can sue whoever they want - you and/or the bank but that doesn't mean they will win the lawsuit(s).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">