• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is surviving spouse responsible for hospital bills?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

DLM9736

Well this is the deal.My mom recently passed away & my dad is getting mounds of doctoe bills in her name & "to the estate of". Their house is not paid off, & his name is NOT on the hospital bills, that's why I was wondering if he was responsible.

BlondiePB

Well this is the deal.My mom recently passed away & my dad is getting mounds of doctoe bills in her name & "to the estate of". Their house is not paid off, & his name is NOT on the hospital bills, that's why I was wondering if he was responsible.
If dad signed any papers making himself the guarantor, he is responsible for paying those bills. If dad did not make himself the guarantor of bills, the estate of your mom is responsible for the bills.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Who signed the financial responsibility forms? Of course, the estate is responsible - that's a given. However, you haven't given enough facts (nor do I believe you even have enough facts) to determine if your dad will be responsible.

I'm sorry for your loss.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">