• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Suspicious will

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kathleen graham

What is the name of your state? Ontario Canada

Hello. My Dad had a foster mother who passed away last year. We were told by her personally before she died that we were in her will and now we have also been told this by her best friend recently. We have heard nothing so far, but we are begining to suspect something strange is going on. Her husband is still living (but with severe dementia) so maybe it all goes to him first? Would we be able to see a copy of the will? How would we do this? I just don't know what to do but I suspect fraud from the people who are handling this matter for many reasons. Please help.

Last edited:

BelizeBreeze

What is the name of your state? Ontario Canada

Hello. My Dad had a foster mother who passed away last year. We were told by her personally before she died that we were in her will and now we have also been told this by her best friend recently. We have heard nothing so far, but we are begining to suspect something strange is going on. Her husband is still living (but with severe dementia) so maybe it all goes to him first? Would we be able to see a copy of the will? How would we do this? I just don't know what to do but I suspect fraud from the people who are handling this matter for many reasons. Please help.
There is nothing you CAN do until probate is opened. As a foster child you have no legal rights. Many people 'say' they have put you in the will when, in fact, they have not.

And by the way, U.S. LAW ONLY!

kathleen graham

suspicious will #3

How do you find out if a will is being probated? Do you have to go to a lawyer? We live far away from where this is happening, is there a probate clerk at any courthouse that can obtain this information?

BelizeBreeze

How do you find out if a will is being probated? Do you have to go to a lawyer? We live far away from where this is happening, is there a probate clerk at any courthouse that can obtain this information?
o.k. let's try this but only ONE time. You call the county courthouse in the county where the deceased lived. You ask to speak with the probate clerk. You give the clerk the name of the deceased and ask if probate has been opened. If yes, you ask how much it would cost to have the file copied and mailed. If no, say thank you and hang up.

Dandy Don

Exactly who are the "people who are handling this matter"--relatives or non-relatives?

Do they have power of attorney or who normally handles their finances?

You need to consult with a probate attorney NOW to see if there is anything you can do proactively to assert your rights as a potential beneficiary. They may be deliberately withholding the will in order to misappropriate assets and if there is a will your attorney can open up probate and the judge can ask whoever has the will to produce it. If they had submitted the will for probate you would have been notified by now. Looks like they deliberately withheld it or may have fradulently gotten another one written.

What is the estimated value of this estate?

Does the best friend know whether an attorney was used to help draft the will and who that attorney is and does the best friend possibly know who witnessed it?

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">