• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

suvivorship rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

cliffview1

Ohio , my parents signed ownership of their property to my brother and myself,but kept a lifetime estate on that property. I have since returned my property to my parents. My brother has refused to let them use or sell any properties, including their home, without his recieving 50% of the sales. He has vacated his home on the property and moved to an neighboring state. Do they have legalright to do as they wish with the property while either of them , my parents, survive?

ALawyer

When you sign over property, you sign it over. Period. No Backs.

Their retained life estate gave them the right to rent out or occupy the entire property for their lifetimes. It does not give them the right to get it back, as it is no longer their full property. But the value of a 50% interest less a life estate is much less than the 50% your brother demands; how much less depends on their health and age.

IF you deeded your half back to them they would own half now, plus a life estate on half. They could seek legal partition of the full property, so they'd have something they can sell.

They really ought to see a lawyer ASAP. And do Wills cutting the SOB out of any other portion of their estates.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">