• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

taxes re: living trust

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

greatnanh

I have been caring for my 90 year old mother for 10 years in Oregon. She has set up a living trust in which I am the sole beneficiary. At this time I have become too ill with cancer to care for her, and must admit her to an assisted living facility. Her savings are $35000.00 and her assets are worth $90000. Her monthly income will not cover the total costs of the nursing facility. Can she give her money and/or assets to me or her grandchildren before she is admitted to the nursing facility in august, to prevent the state from getting all of it? Will I be responsible for paying costs incurred for her care? If she outlives me, will my husband be responsible for these costs? What is the tax law in oregon for inheritance gifts?

ALawyer

Unless your husband personally guaranteed and/or signed for her he'd have no liability.

As for her ability to gift, this is something to go to an elder lawyer about -- very tricky issues as Medicaid agencies are TOUGH and let's face it, as a matter of social policy, shouldn't a person pay for her own care to the extent she can (or could have) afford it, rather than taxpayers?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">