• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Terminology in a will

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

Bobii Earle

I am from Florida.

what does the work risidual mean in a will?

When a husband/wife die and they have right of suvivorship for home in the will, does that include all furniture, etc?

A

advisor10

11-29-2001

DEAR BOBII:

Please quote the exact phrase or sentence that is used in the will that mentions the term "residual". Most often that term is used as residual income or residual assets of the estate, which means any additional income that is received (belonging to or in the name of the decedent) after the estate has officially closed, sometimes income that is received that may not have been expected or may not have been known about in advance, such as stock dividend checks.

SINCERELY,

[email protected]

ALawyer

If it refers to residual estate, it means what ever is left AFTER distributing any specific bequests. Very often Wills have specific bequests, such as $1000 to charity A, $5000 to sister B, $7000 to brother C, my furniture to my daughter D, and my car to son E, etc. with the remainder or residuary to the children equally.

As for joint tenancy, only the home and fixtures -- generally things attached to the land (what is deemed attached -- the furnace is but the refrigerator may not be -- varies by state) pass by operation of law. Furniture is NOT fixtures in most places.

A

advisor10

11-30-2001

DEAR BOBII:

Good news for you. The furniture would be considered personal property and you as the surviving wife would automatically get that under the concept of tenency by entirety, NOT right of survivorship.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">