• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Texas Deeds with Right of Survivorship

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rjmunoz

What is the name of your state? Texas

My husband recently went to a seminar provided by his employer on estate planning. In the seminar, having a right of survivorship listed on our house deed was said to be an inexpensive estate planning tool that would help to avoid probate. When I contacted an attorney to have this done, the attorney said Texas courts frown upon the right of survivorship in deeds. Who's right and why?

S

seniorjudge

When I contacted an attorney to have this done, the attorney said Texas courts frown upon the right of survivorship in deeds.

I hope you didn't pay any money for that attorney since he doesn't know what he is talking about.

In the seminar, having a right of survivorship listed on our house deed was said to be an inexpensive estate planning tool that would help to avoid probate.

I hope you didn't pay any money for that seminar since it is woefully incomplete.

Answer: Go see an estate planning attorney in Texas as soon as possible.

rjmunoz

Woefully incomplete seminar

Texas
Why do you say the seminar was incomplete? Are you saying the right of survivorship deed of trust was bad advice?

S

seniorjudge

Q: Why do you say the seminar was incomplete? Are you saying the right of survivorship deed of trust was bad advice?

A: Certainly not. I said it was incomplete (if that is all they told you). You need to talk to an estate planning attorney about durable powers of attorney for financial purposes and health care purposes, wills, trusts, non-probate transfers, etc. This is no DIY and you need to do it for your peace of mind and the peace of mind of your potential heirs.

Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">