• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Texas Inheritance Law

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kokobeach

What is the name of your state? Texas

Howdy all! I know this forum regards Trusts and Estate Planning, but my question concerns inheritance laws in Texas when the person dies intestate.

The situation is the following....

My MOM may be getting married to her live-in BOYFRIEND. They have been living together for approx. 2 years and both own their condo 50/50. I'm not sure what type of arrangement they have (i.e. tenants-in-common, etc.), but I'm sure it is the agreement that just happens naturally rather than having some sort of legal papers which both of them are against... this is exactly why I know that my MOM will pass away intestate (not so sure about the BOYFRIEND). What I would like to know is how the marriage would affect my sister and my inheritances.

The family situation:
MOM = divorced, has two legitimate adult daughters from one previous marriage
BOYFRIEND = divorced twice, has one son from the 1st marriage who has an illegitimate daughter and a daughter from the 2nd marriage

I'm not sure if it is important to know that my MOM purchased her half of the house from an heritance from my European grandparents and the BOYFRIEND purchased his half from the proceeds of the sale of his home with his previous wife.

Also, does sex and age play a part in Texas inheritance law (seeing that there are now males in the family and I am no longer the oldest child)?

Thanks in advance and sorry if this is too much information.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">