• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is there a possibility I can take legal recourse?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

NSesta1687

Hello everyone,

I live in the State of NJ and need some ideas if the following situation warrants seeking an attorney. My father passed away this past November and had been separated from his wife for two and a half years. They lived apart but had not started proceedings for divorce, all though it was iminent.

After he passed away, she was legally entitled to everything that was in his name since she was considered the surviving spouse. My grandmother, my father's mother, is currently in an assisted living facility for Alzheimer's. Her assets as of three years ago were transferred into my father's name in case there came a time she would need to be transferred to a Medicaid facility.

Since my dad's passing, my grandmother's money has now been transferred from my father's name to his wife's name, again, being the surviving spouse. Legally, I guess, my grandmother doesn't have assets since they are under someone else's name, although they are technically still her monies.

At this point, my father's wife has mentioned the possibility of finding a Medicaid facility for my grandmother, in which case the entire sum of my grandmother's money would be completely hers.

Is there any legal action I can take to prevent this? Before I seek an attorney and the expense of an attorney, I'd like to know if it's possible or just a waste of time. To be honest, the idea of my family having worked so hard their entire lives to end up in this woman's lap makes me sick.
If anyone can give me some idea of what to do, I'd appreciate it.
Nicole

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">