• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

threating to hold up an estate settlement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

acnc

North Carolina
It is my understanding that after everything pertaining to my Uncles estate had been either paid out or collected in which has taken 4 years to process...that the money left in the estate would be divided amongst the entitled aires. His sister and brother...and children of another deceased brother. He had no will. It has now been suggested to me that because the sisters handling this want some of the others to sign a deed which has NOTHING at all to do with this estate or property...that they may just hold back on the disbersment of this money. Can they do this? How long after all the money is collected and the estate is finished can they hold out on dispersment? Or is that a situation that they will need to later on or on their own either deal with personally or seek legal action concerning this other business?
Thank you for your help

A

advisor10

JULY 19, 2001

DEAR ACNC:

There is no justifiable reason for a delay this long--you are being stalled! If you don't already have an attorney, you need to get one to petition the court to speed up the process to make the distribution to the heirs. Are you sure that there is enough money left in the estate (after paying debts and taxes) so that the heirs will get anything?

It's a wonder that they might not have already spent your share of the money!

SINCERELY,

[email protected]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">