• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Time frame to settle estate in MI

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Pinecone49417

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan

Asking this as an in-law - my wife's parents both passed away last year leaving a living trust with some CD's and a house to sell. Her brother is executor and has been very slow to move through this process making comments like "the house has sentimental value," and "I know some people that take up to 2 years to settle this type of thing." We've already had this hanging over our heads for about 8 months now. I try to stay out of it, but my wife is suffering from clinical depression partly because of this. So I'm feeling somewhat responsible to get it resolved. Is there a legal time frame involved in taking care of this matter?

anteater

Just a bit on definitions... A trust is administered by a trustee. A personal representative/executor/administrator administers a probate estate.

Eight months may be a bit long. But it all depends upon what tasks need to be done. Has the brother put the house on the market?

Here's the thing... One of the reasons for creating and funding a living trust is to avoid court involvement, that is, probate. Courts do not normally supervise administration of trusts unless an interested party brings an issue before the court. Unless your wife suspects that brother is engaged in some sort of malfeasance, it probably is not worthwhile to spend the money to petition the court just to try to stick brother with a cattle prod. But that is only personal opinion. It is up to your wife.

We've already had this hanging over our heads for about 8 months now. I try to stay out of it, but my wife is suffering from clinical depression partly because of this.
Not certain what "hanging over our heads" means. Things sometimes do take a bit of time. I guess that it won't do any good to say that your wife should not take this so seriously, but...

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">