• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Time limit on creditors

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

E

edomalley

I'm executor of a small New York estate. I'm ready to distribute the assets to the heirs but I worry that something like some old medical bills for the deceased may turn up. How long must the distribution wait before old creditors can no longer make claims.
Thanks.

A

advisor10

JULY 9, 2001

DEAR ED:

I don't know what the law in New York is, but generally speaking, creditors have up until a year after the will has been filed for probate to submit a bill for payment.

Ask the probate court if it would be permissible for you to set aside a certain amount ($4,000 or less) in a reserve bank account in anticipation of future unpaid bills, to be distributed to the heirs after the year has passed.

The main thing you need to consider is whether you published a notice in a local daily or legal newspaper about the existence of the deceased's estate, so that creditors could properly be aware of the death and then would know they need to submit the bill, if any exist.
Also try to get access to the deceased's credit bureau report or medical records or go through his personal papers to find out about any outstanding debts (which you may have already done).

SINCERELY,

[email protected]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">