• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Timeline for will/trust

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ras3408

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Colorado

My father passed away 15 days ago and left a will and a trust with his wife as executor, I called the court and no will has been submitted and information has not been forthcoming, thus I feel I should be proactive in finding out what I need to know. I want to know what the time line of events are: does the will and trust need to be submitted to the courts; am I supposed to be provided a copy by the executor and if so, then when; are the other items that as a son, person of interest, and/or beneficiary that I need to be aware of. Any info would be appreciated.

Thank you

anteater

Separate the will from the trust.

A will's provisions would only cover assets not in the trust (or owned jointly with survivorship or with designated beneficiaries, etc). Fifteen days is a bit soon to expect a will to admitted to probate - if, indeed, the will needs to be submitted.

Colorado law provides that the probate estate's personal representative notify heirs and devisees of the personal representative's appointment no later than 30 days after that appointment. I don't see any requirement that a copy of the will be provided.

As for the trust:

15-16-303. Duty to inform and account to beneficiaries.

(1) The trustee shall keep the beneficiaries of the trust reasonably informed of the trust and its administration.

(2) Within thirty days after registration, in accordance with the provisions of part 1 of this article, of a trust created on or after July 1, 1975, the trustee shall inform in writing the current beneficiaries and, if possible, one or more persons who, under section 15-10-403, represent beneficiaries with future interests of the court in which the trust is registered and of his name and address.

(3) Upon reasonable request, the trustee shall provide the beneficiary with a copy of the terms of the trust which describe or affect his interest and with relevant information about the assets of the trust and the particulars relating to the administration.

(4) Upon reasonable request, a beneficiary is entitled to a statement of the accounts of the trust annually and on termination of the trust or change of the trustee.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">