• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Timely Disbursement of Trust

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

QuestioningWife

What is the name of your state? California

My mother in law passed away on 7/23/05 with a pretty straightforward living trust and will. All that was in the trust was her home, bank accounts, T-bills and saving bonds. My brother in law has stalled on filing the required tax papers saying it was better for his personal taxes to disburse the money after the first of '06. Now that it is '06, he has given approximately $30,000 to my husband, still without filing any tax returns on the trust. All total, the trust will amount, with the sale of the house, about 1.5 million.

What is the time line for disbursement if there is no need for probate? And his latest idea is to keep the money in the T-bills and just disburse the interest. Is any of this legal? Another question my husband and I have is that he has been ill over the past year, and what happens to his share of the trust if it is not disbursed prior to his death? Does it revert to the brother or I am entitled to it as the surviving wife?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">