• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Too much power for POA....

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

baker's dozen

I have an elderly mother that is currently living in her own home in Maryland. Her will (unless it has been changed in recent years) indicates that her estate should be divided equally among her 13 children. The problem is that my mother is no longer fully capable to handle her own affairs, so one of my sisters has begun acting as power of attorney, which she was made several years ago. This sister has recently moved in with my mother and we just discovered that she now has a realtor and is trying to sell my mother's house. My sister will not discuss any details of her activities with regard to my mother or her assets and there is a very real fear that she will sell the house out from under my mother and leave her with nothing. (There are also serious questions about how funds are being spent from my mother's bank accounts.):mad:

In addition to this, she is monopolizing my mother's time and will not allow any of the rest of the 12 siblings to spend time with her alone. My mother has started lashing out at any of us that try to talk to her and says we are all trying to steal her money. It seems clear that my sister is "brainwashing" my mother against us all and she constantly involves my mother in arguments we have with her over the situation. Weekly visits with my mother have turned into an ordeal that is almost impossible to bear.:(

The question I would like to raise on behalf of my 11 brothers and sisters is this: Is there any way to remove Power of Attorney from someone that may be acting in their own best interests instead of on behalf of the incapacitated individual? We are concerned that we will not be able to spend any quality time with my mother in her remaining years and also, there may be no estate left to divide when my mother passes on.:confused:

Thanks for any advice!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">