• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Trust

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

Laura Horace

What is the name of your state? Georgia
I was told before the trustee passed away that I was mentioned in his trust. Now that he has passed the executor has not mentioned anything. How can I find out if I am mentioned as a beneficary in a truste?

Dandy Don

Contact a local trust attorney to find out whether in your state a trust beneficiary has the right to request a copy of the trust by sending a certified letter to the trustee to request a copy of the trust and the accounting information for it. The person who died was the trustor, and the trustee is the living person who is handling the affairs of the trust.

The problem here is that a trust is administered separately from the will, so the executor may or may not be aware of the trust. The executor may or may not be the trustee. You could call or write a letter to the executor asking him to look at the trust and inform you of whether you are or are not a beneficiary of the trust.

Give the executor or trustee a few weeks to review and manage the affairs of the trust--there is a bit of paperwork and tax planning involved. I'm sure they will be contacting you at the appropriate time.

Have you seen a copy of the will to find out whether you are named in that or not? Check at the county courthouse probate court to see if the will has been filed. Normally that is done within 30 days of the death.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">