• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Trust Disbursement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Relent_less

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Jersey

The trust is from California.

I have a simple question, Is there a time frame for the Trustee to disburse monies from a sale of a home?

My brother (Sucessor Trustee) to my father's estate sold my father's home on 4/15/08.
We found out about this only by public record he for some unknown reason didn't inform us until we confronted him with proof.

This is the last piece of the trust,there are no other debts to be satisfied,and the proceeds from the home were to be distributed after sale as`per the trust.

He claims after every phone call that he's still working on it and has and will not show us any paperwork associated with the sale.

Thank you in advance for any help

Last edited:

Relent_less

Did I Ask an inappropriate question??

I'm a bit confused why there were so many views of my question and not one response!:(

curb1

You asked, "I have a simple question, Is there a time frame for the Trustee to disburse monies from a sale of a home?"

Up to a couple of years would be reasonable. Common sense would suggest that the sooner the better if there were no outstanding obligations.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Jersey

The trust is from California.

I have a simple question, Is there a time frame for the Trustee to disburse monies from a sale of a home?

My brother (Sucessor Trustee) to my father's estate sold my father's home on 4/15/08.
We found out about this only by public record he for some unknown reason didn't inform us until we confronted him with proof.

This is the last piece of the trust,there are no other debts to be satisfied,and the proceeds from the home were to be distributed after sale as`per the trust.
Generally the Trust documents should provide the time frame in which a distribution should be made. Until the distribution is made the funds received from the sale of the asset should be kept in the Trust's account and managed in accordance with the terms of the Trust.

If you are a beneficiary of the Trust, you have the right to request an accounting at anytime and see that the assets are being handled properly. Also, if this is truly the only asset of the Trust then once all funds have been distributed the Trust should be dissolved. The Trustee should ensure that all trust liabilities have been satisfied prior to the dissolution and should distribute the funds based upon the priority set forth in the Trust documents.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">