• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

trust disbursements

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gldancer

What is the name of your state? Florida
My mom died in 2001 and my brother who is the executor of the trust. He still has not divided the trust account completely. Is there a time limit to disburse the trust? My parents (dad died a year earlier) also had a will that divided everything between my brother and me. Is there anything I can do to hurry him up - I need the money, he doesn't. He lives in Maryland, but the trust is held in Florida. Thanks, Gloria

Last edited:

Dandy Don

Where did the death occur?

Executor applies only to the will. If there is a trust, then he would be the trustee.

Did you get anything from the will and was it probated in probate court?

What type of trust is it and have you seen a copy of the trust?

You need to be talking to a trust attorney in Florida to find out whether you have the right to request a copy of the trust and an accounting statement of the trust by having your attorney send him a certified letter requesting such.

Something is wrong--the trust was supposed to be activated soon after the death and the fact that he has not disbursed the monies is reason for concern. Get a trust attorney to help you get satisfaction.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

gldancer

I live in Florida and did talk to an estate attorney several years ago. The trust was a revocable trust set up by my parents to avoid probate problems. My only problem is that my brother, who is the trustee, has not yet finished dividing the trust according my parents' wishes. My dad died in 2000 and my mother in 2001 (May). I would like him to finish the disbursements as I could use it now.

Dandy Don

So what did the attorney tell you?

If he couldn't advise you properly, then you need to be talking to another trust attorney now. You will probably need to have your attorney send the brother a warning letter advising him to comply with the terms of the trust within a certain deadline, and if he doesn't, then you will have to take him to court.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">