• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Trust Dispersement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hazelnut

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

My mother put in place POD's on the bank accounts for me...she set up a revocable living trust and there are two rental properties in the same state and one sizeable note which she receives a lump sum from every month for principal and interest for the next 7 years. I am the trustee and sole heir, however, I have two siblings. They are not mentioned in the will or trust.

My mother purchased a car for the one sibling but it wasn't paid for before she passed. I was able to pay it off and I signed it over as a gift. What should I expect to provide the IRS/Accountant when doing taxes?

My other sibling is living in one of the properties and I'm paying all the expenses, however, I did give him 5K dollars when he needed it. What should I expect to provide the IRS/Accountant when doing taxes?

Considering that I am taxed at a lesser amount than the Estate when should I take dispersements and do I need to do anything special before I take money out of the trust for personal use. Right now I take administrative costs only.

Since I'm the only heir and there is no question about the will/trust and no challenges I would just like to know what's the proper way to handle taking money to use for myself other than the administrative costs.

Can I just give money as a gift to my siblings or is there paperwork that I should fill out before hand and what are the tax consequences if any and to whom?

tranquility

My mother purchased a car for the one sibling but it wasn't paid for before she passed. I was able to pay it off and I signed it over as a gift. What should I expect to provide the IRS/Accountant when doing taxes?
What was the amount paid off?

My other sibling is living in one of the properties and I'm paying all the expenses, however, I did give him 5K dollars when he needed it. What should I expect to provide the IRS/Accountant when doing taxes?
What is the FMV of the rent for where he is living and how much in expenses have you paid?

Considering that I am taxed at a lesser amount than the Estate when should I take dispersements and do I need to do anything special before I take money out of the trust for personal use. Right now I take administrative costs only.
You need to talk with your attorney regarding the estate and trust distributions.

Can I just give money as a gift to my siblings or is there paperwork that I should fill out before hand and what are the tax consequences if any and to whom?
That is why I asked the questions I did.

hazelnut

What was the amount paid off?

What is the FMV of the rent for where he is living and how much in expenses have you paid?

You need to talk with your attorney regarding the estate and trust distributions.

That is why I asked the questions I did.
I have tried to reply twice and can't seem to get this right...can you guild me in the right way to do this..thanks

hazelnut

I have tried to reply twice and can't seem to get this right...can you guild me in the right way to do this..thanks
Well that seemed to work so let's give it a shot

The payoff of the car loan was $13,000

The FMV for rent in this complex (difficult because 55 and older and difficult with Board regulating tenants) $800 mo. $9600 yr

Expenses Mortgage.....$1200
Taxes**************...$2300
Insurance....$787
HOA**************....$4200
Special Assessment for roof...$1400
Electric**************$750 yr
New A/C (required when roof redone) $3500
New Hot Water Heater (required because over 10 years old) $600
Upgrades to unit because 35 yrs old and very dated $16,000

My moral compass is being driven by my siblings wanting fairness...my mother made it clear that she had given both of them more than their fair share and that she didn't care if I didn't give them anything...but that's not my style...there is adequate monies e very month to pay for the estate expenses plus give monies to help support the one sibling...they are not challenging the will/estate but look to me to BE FAIR

The estate attorney gave me the impression that since I was the sole heir and Trustee that I could do pretty much what I wanted
to do regarding the monies. I have taken administrative costs and made sure that the estimated taxes were more than covered with monthly checks to the IRS. I have been generous with one sibling and now wonder what the ramifications will be for my generosity.

We are retired with SS as our only income and now have this additional income from the Trust.

We are waiting for 2 years to pass for the statue of limitations for credit card debt which she incurred trying to help my one sibling in his quest for business success

I guess what I'm really asking is if my generous use of funds of the estate will come back to haunt me.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">