• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Trust executor stole my Joint tenant account

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

KatyaLasVegas

What is the name of your state?
Nevada
The exectutor to my late fiance's trust is his sister. We always got along fine until the last few months. Fiance had an online trading account OUTSIDE the trust, to which we signed and faxed paper to trading company for us to be Joint Tenants with right to survivorship. It took a long time for the company to find the fax (after he passed away) and then they told me they did not execute it because they had no copy of his signature on file (probably true, it was online). But then the lawyer who drew up the trust spoke with them and told me that there should be no problem, they just need something to verify the signature against. Next I was told by the company they would no longer speak to me because the money/account ($30,000) was taken, by court order, and PUT INTO THE TRUST! Now his sister and I have problems because I specifically told her what had happened and she somehow went to court and took it. If it stays in the trust and I do nothing I will supposedly get 25% of it (my share in the trust). Do I have any recourse, and is there any idea of the time frame it would take to somehow get my $30,000 back outside the trust? Is the sister liable for that money if the trust is already divided? Thans for any advice.

Katya,
Las Vegas, Nevada

[email protected]

Dandy Don

Do YOU have a copy or original of the relevant fax? Do you have anything in writing from the trading company that admits their mistake? Did your fiance ever receive a phone call or letter from the trading company asking for his signature?

Do you have access to the rules and regulations for the account that your fiance set up with this company and what type of "trading" account was it--online checking, savings? Send me an e-mail that mentions the name of the company involved and their city/state address.

From a business law perspective, you might have recourse against the bank. It would be very expensive for you in lawyers' fees to pursue this type of lawsuit. I will research to see if there is a less expensive avenue for you to pursue this.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">