• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Trust Funds

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

thumper318

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Fl.I would like to know How I would go about finding a fund that was left To my Brother Sister and myself back in the fiftys if any one has any clues please let me know Thanks

Dandy Don

Why on earth have you waited so darned long to check into this? If the fund did exist you would have been notified about it by now. You can check at the county courthouse probate files to see if the decedent had a last will and testament that was probated, and if a probate file is there you can look at it to see if there is any relevant financial information in there, but if it was in a trust there is no where to check public records for that.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

thumper318

The Reason that it has taken this long Because none of us could get this Till I turned Forty years old that was a little time ago been looking for it for * yrs.:confused:

Dandy Don

Was this a relative who would have left this money to you? You need to find out the date of death and city/state of death where the person died. Then call the Washington, DC Office of the Register of Wills at (202) 879-4800 and ask them to check their files to see if there is a probate file there for the decedent, and you need to give them the person's name and date of death.

If a file is there, you can order copies of the file sent to you by mail or go to the courthouse yourself and look at the file to see how the estate was handled. There should be financial information in there, if a will was probated, about how the estate was handled and if you were named beneficiary or whether the executor was supposed to set up a fund.

If there is no probate file, then you may be out of luck. If the funds were put only into a trust, then that information is private and there is no public record of it. If you know the name of the person who would have been trustee, you could contact that person for more information. There is a small chance you might find out helpful information, but don't get your hopes up too high. The trustee was supposed to provide notice to the beneficiaries about anything they were eligible to receive, and if he hasn't contacted you by now, then there may not be anything or he may have stolen it.

If there is information in the probate file that proves you were supposed to get something, then you will need to talk to a probate attorney to find out what your next step should be.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">