• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Trust Funds

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

saiabrown

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

Recently I found out that trust funds have been set up for my children by a family friend who passed two years ago. My ex step mother has been named as executor of the estate and has not mentioned this to me or my children.

She has instead just watched as I (a single Mother) have struggled to keep a roof over their heads and food on the table.

The documents pertaining to this were drawn up by a lawyer friend of hers (my ex step mother) so asking him for help will probably be of no avail.

How can I ensure that our friends last wishes are fulfilled and that my children get what's rightfully theirs.

Thanks

curb1

How did you find out? What did "ex-step mother" say when you asked about the trust? What was mentioned in the trust? If you don't do the asking you will need to pay an attorney for help. Is your "ex-step mother" the trustee of the trust?

ShyCat

And don't get all entitled and belligerant with the trustee. You have no idea if the trust allows for distributions to "keep a roof over their heads and food on the table", which is, after all, YOUR responsibility, not theirs. The money may have been set aside for a specific purpose, such as college.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">